Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Well, I've not been very diligent about my "renewed committment" to blog regularly...hence, email notifications to friends and family until I DO get that little discipline character flaw under control!
However, not blogging does not mean I have not been busy.  While there are some life events I could linger over...like my eldest son finally deciding to get serious about higher education and now residing on the campus of Walla Walla University...and my daughter's decision to spend her senior year of high school back in the town she grew up in, and living with her maternal grandparents- I really decided to blog today to put up pics of my fall scarecrow decorations that are now finished. (Much less of an emotional topic for this mom!)  Actually, they've been finished for about a month...so you see, its not the creating that is a problem for me, its the photographing and uploading that just doesn't have the same appeal.  I think a new camera would surely bring more inspiration to this part of the process, but alas, I wait for the new-camera genie to hear my woes and bring me gifts!

For now though, let me attach a few pics of my scarecrows.  I'll have them posted on Etsy soon...feel free to respond here or by email to order yours directly.

The pattern and design are my own.  Each scarecrow's outfit is sewn...not glued together.  Each is slightly different as is the case in most all hand-made art and crafts and they average approximately 11 inches high, 6.5 inches wide and the hay bale is 2.5 inches deep.  The hay bale base is store-bought, but the rest of this little fall diorama, suitable as a center-piece or side decoration, is hand-made and designed by me.
The pumpkins consist of a flour and salt based modeling dough; painted and completely sealed to guard against humidity.  The pea pods and peas are modeled from polymer clay, as is the scarecrow's pitch fork, and all of these are also sealed for longevity.  Both the pumpkins and the peas have wire anchors that poke down into the hay, reinforcing the adhesive which holds them in place. Oh, I guess, I must confess that the "corn" stalks are not hand-made by me, but they are altered. They started out as garage-sale treasures in the shape of green onions, but have been disassembled to resemble corn stalks and fit the theme of poem.

The poem is essential to the meaning of the piece overall.  It is also one of my originals and my husband, at least, thinks it is very clever.

This is how it reads:

Scarecrow Philososphy

I'm created in the image of a Maker I can't see,
But, it's clear by my surroundings that He's got a job for me.
So, I'll guard this little pea patch, while I listen for His horn,
And as He sends His wind to move me, I'll do my best to save the corn. 


So with a dual meaning/interpretation, this happy harvest/fall diorama, is a fitting reminder of the reason of the "Thanks-Giving" season, and would easily fit in with any Fall decor theme.










These are priced and $20, plus shipping and handling and orders placed before November 10th will arrive in time to welcome your Thanksgiving guests without paying an extra expidited shipping charge. Like I said above, feel free to order directly by email, or as a response to this blog, or, look for this piece and others on my Etsy store site, but do order quickly as I only made 7 of these little pieces and I'd hate for you to miss yours!

Happy Harvest to all!


No comments: